Saturday, February 21, 2009

Metabolic Testing- Feb'09

I spent last week doing some of my metabolic tests. After several hours of tinkering and learning how excel works I have came up with some information.
The test done on Feb 13-09 was a VO2 max. The metabolic cart used was a Cosmed K4, the bike and computer system- RacerMate- Velotron Elite. Lactates were taken using Lactate Pro.
Tests were completed after 72 hours of rest, with no caffeine intake 6 hours prior. The test was conducted at the UBC Cardiovascular Physiology & Rehabilitation Lab (Dr. Darren E. Warburton's lab). Testing protocol was a step protocol test starting at 120W, increasing 30W every 3 minutes until cadence (85-95) could not be continued or I choose to quit.
The Blue lines indicate my results from this test, where the red is the testing I did in May of '08
























5 comments:

Vincent said...

Cool buddy, I didn't realize you had a blog. cool!

Your VO2 going up by 8 is sweet, I notice that is somewhat LO2/min increasing, how much of that change is weight change?

Patrick Waters said...

The wt change is 2kg (84kg). I went in for underwater weighing as well as use a Tanita BIA scale.
So the short answer is 2kg loss in wt; a 3kg increase in muscle mass and 5 kg drop in fat.
I'd like to be down to 77kg for IM Can at the end of August, but I have to admit I don't think i will be working towards that goal unless I drink enough that my Gi tract stops absorbing nutrients.

Pearce said...

Good luck in NZ Pat!

-- said...

How can I analyze/understand the numbers you posted? Where can I read mre about this.
GL in NZ.

Patrick Waters said...

Thanks Pearce!
Appreciate the support.

Sanaz,
Your best bet would be to read more of Joe Friel's work, Triathlete's training bible or Going Long, both published by VeloPress.

Exercise Physiology by McArdle is also a good text- or at least I think it is. trainingpeaks.com and trainingbible.com are also good resources. slowtwitch.com may provide some stuff as well.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Cheers,
Pw.